You might be wondering why I am lumping up the two together when they are different and distinct subjects.
Well, they are not really contradistinctive.
What makes them related or akin to one another is the fact that both deals with preventing corruption as the country is steered towards growth and development.
Thus, while Dutertenomics is getting to be a popular buzzword here and abroad for President Rodrigo Duterte’s 6-year development plan that aims to make the Philippines a high middle-income status before his term ends in 2022, it is a much welcomed boost for the country also that Duterte is keen and in fact throwing his full support behind the reopening of a congressional inquiry into the scandalous P10-billion Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel scam.
Dutertenomics is actually about the 10-point agenda that is listed below and which emphasizes transparency and inclusiveness in every step:
- Higher infrastructure spending, with 5 percent of gross domestic product targeted
- Lower income and corporate tax rates to better compete with other Asian nations
- Less red tape and corruption, including permits and land titles crucial to business
- More state resources for the countryside, reducing poverty and boosting rural growth
- Strong law enforcement and peace efforts to enhance the business environment
- Small business gains with GoNegosyo’s Ramon Lopez as Trade & Industry Secretary
- Better China relations enhancing Chinese trade, tourism and investment flows
- Charter change to devolve power to the regions and ease foreign investment limits.
In the same manner, in revisiting the pork barrel scam probe, Duterte simply wants to make sure that all those government officials involved in unscrupulously diverting the government funds for the poor and needy into their own bank accounts are taken to task and prosecuted.
I just hope that in so doing Duterte will not interfere and just allow the Sandiganbayan ( a special appellate collegial court) to run its course in prosecuting the high profile accused namely, ex-senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon Revilla and Jinggoy Estrada. He will be doing the country a great favor if he does.
Oozing with political will with no one to be beholden to and having the interest of the nation and the welfare of the people foremost in his governance, I am sure Duterte will find success in this twin concerns he is driving at.